Why I'm not an Author

Hey guys! I've been thinking a lot (when do I not, honestly)....

And I've discovered that I hate something. Now, there aren't many things I hate. I can find a place in my heart, however small, to like just about anything, at least for a few minutes.

But today, I learned that I hate this word:

AUTHOR.

Why? Why the word-hate? Isn't that a sin coming from someone who uses words all day every day?

Because it implies professionality. Which isn't a word, by the way. "Author" implies that you know what you're doing, that there are rules and by some miracle you discovered them and have learned the complete and utterly perfect way to do something.

Author.

Wow, I'm amazed by how much it disgusts me. We're all imperfect, we're all only people trying to capture ideas, events, and emotions in a completely imperfect way.

From here on out, I will refuse to call myself an author. Writer? Yes. Storyteller? I sincerely hope so. But I am not an author; I am a person who lives to tell stories and make the world a more bearable place. I am not an author.

*end rant here*

-Sara Summers

Popular Posts

Announcement